Saturday, December 5, 2009

I'm Alive!

Well, after almost a year hiatus, I am back!! I hope to give this blogging thing a serious attempt this time around. I guess the "empty nest" stage of our lives have kept me busy (or maybe I just haven't had anything exciting to write about!)
Today was truly a milestone in our lives, as Eddie and I cut down our annual Christmas tree minus a child, a dog or a camera! Unfortunately, our dear, sweet chocolate Lab, Cocoa passed away this fall. She died on October 27th after a short bout with cancer in her right shoulder. She was 12 1/2 years old and she had a healthy, full life full of lots of love and attention. One month before the day she died, she took her last long hike with us to one of our favorite spots, Lily Pad Lakes. We must have known it was a special day because Eddie and I celebrated at the lake with some beers and chips and called Matt and Kealy from there. Even the dead battery in the car, upon our return, didn't dampen the mood!
But.....I digressed from my story about the tree cutting. We have cut our tree in the South Park Ranger District for the last several years, so today we headed to Fairplay, CO to get our permit and then up to Hoosier Pass for the short hike and hunt for the perfect tree. Before we left we tried to borrow a nephew (Oliver) or a nephew's dog (Porter) for company, but both had other pressing engagements, so it was just the two of us. It was a great day with lots of sun and near 30 degree weather. We found a beautiful 12 foot Spruce tree (yes, it is legal to cut Spruce in Park County!) Eddie has just completed the tree lighting with only one trip to Wal-Mart for an extra box of lights. I must now close and head up to attach the ornaments. Hope you will check back as I hope to add some photos, some recipes and other holiday goodies!
I hope your life has been full of lots of love and laughter in 2009!

1 comment:

Lisa Dudash said...

Hello, hoping to connect with like-minded bloggers. I'm new here (well, it's been awhile) Used to blog years ago and getting back into it ;)